Fillings are primarily used to restore decayed teeth. Earlier, fillings were made from materials such as gold, silver, and amalgam. Though they offered excellent durability and sealing properties, their usage has been discontinued in recent times due to displeasing aesthetics. As an alternative, white fillings made from composite resin or dental-grade ceramic are being used to fill cavities.
What are the advantages of white fillings?
- White fillings are made from ceramic or composite resin. They can be customized to mimic the color, texture, and contour of the natural teeth, thereby staying under disguise.
- White fillings offer excellent durability and strength. With regular oral activities such as biting and chewing food, their rate of wear is negligible.
- The cavity will be sealed to perfection using white fillings. Microbes will not be able to enter the cavity through any cracks, which completely prevents reinfection.
- The procedure involved in the placement of white fillings is quite simple and minimally invasive. It doesn't cause pain or discomfort.
- White fillings do not produce toxic reactions with the natural tissues of the teeth.
How are white fillings placed?
During the initial consultation, Dr. Felahy will visually examine the teeth and determine the severity of the oral condition. If the cavity is small and in the initial stages, the decay will be removed by scaling, and the debris will be washed off using a jet of water. If the cavity is large and deep, it will have to be restored using a suitable filling to prevent it from advancing and affecting the entire tooth.
The cavity will be cleaned by getting rid of the decay. We will then prepare the filling material by matching it with the color of the enamel. Before placing it in the cavity, the cavity will be etched using an etching solution. This helps to roughen its surface, which allows the filling to adhere to the tooth firmly. Once we shape the filling, it will then be hardened using a curing light. It will be polished to match it with the luster of the enamel to make it as indistinguishable as possible.
At Sunset Oak Dental, Dr. Felahy offers durable white fillings to the Rocklin, Roseville, and Lincoln areas. Call our office at (916) 435-5111 to schedule your dental appointment and discuss dental filling options!