Pediatric dentistry involves monitoring the oral health of a child from infancy to adolescence. It is recommended that children should visit the dentist biannually, starting from the age of twelve months to maintain balanced oral health.
What does pediatric dentistry involve?
In pediatric dental care, Dr. Felahy will:
- Examine the teeth for signs of decay and cavities
- Check for any signs of malocclusion
- Track jaw and tooth development.
- Give parents a clear idea about how to care for their child's teeth, i.e., preventive care at home
- Demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques for the child
- Treat the tooth having a cavity and apply filling to it
- Extract the baby teeth if it poses a problem by refusing to fall off
- Suggest preventive measures for thumb sucking.
- Apply topical fluoride coating onto a child's teeth to protect the enamel.
How often should a child be taken to a dentist?
From the age of one, children should be taken to the dentist at least twice a year. It is absolutely necessary as the child would be developing baby teeth, approximately six months from birth. Hence, monitoring the growth of the teeth and checking for any signs of cavities or gum-related infections is very important. Moreover, tiny, unnoticed cavities can rapidly turn into severe ones and end up causing childhood periodontal disease.
Therefore, regular consultations with Dr. Felahy can help maintain a meticulous record of the child's oral health. This would make it easier for him to treat any sudden changes in the child's oral health, or prevent them even before they arise. Parents shouldn't neglect regular oral visits even if the child seems to have healthy teeth. Oral problems can arise pretty rapidly. Habits such as thumb sucking can cause misalignment of teeth, and changes in the diet plan could cause cavities.
At Sunset Oak Dental, Dr. Felahy, a kid-friendly Rocklin dentist, and his efficiently trained dental team will systematically design a custom treatment plan for your child. We are happy to care for the dental health of children in the areas including Rocklin 95765, Roseville 95677, Lincoln 95765, Penryn 95663, and Loomis 95650 in California. Call us at (916) 435-5111 to schedule your child's dental appointment with our kid-friendly Rocklin dentist in Rocklin, CA, to give your child the best dental care in town.