Dental veneers are thin shells of tooth-colored porcelain or resin composite material that are bonded to the front surface of teeth. This effectively conceals the appearance of cosmetic flaws, such as stains and minor chips in the enamel layer of the teeth. Because the material is translucent, it blends in with the rest of your natural teeth for a seamless smile that looks and feels completely natural and beautiful.
In addition, dental veneers can also be used to address issues with tooth misalignment. If your teeth are significantly crooked, orthodontics may not be enough to correct the problem. In such cases, we can use dental veneers to reshape the surfaces of the teeth and create a straighter alignment that is more proportionate to the shape of your jaw. This is known as orthodontic treatment with porcelain veneers.
The Process of Placing Veneers
A small amount of tooth enamel is removed from the front surface of the tooth to make room for the veneer. An impression is taken of the prepped tooth and sent off to the lab to be created. In the meantime, a temporary veneer will be placed to protect the tooth until the permanent one is ready. The temporary veneer can be matched to the color of your teeth, or you may choose to have a whiter shade to cover the discoloration on the tooth. When the permanent veneer is ready, the temporary one is taken off, and the permanent one is bonded into place using resin cement. The bond is very strong and should last for a long time with proper oral care at home.
Advantages of Veneers
- They require little-to-no tooth preparation, with most of the work being done on your natural teeth.
- They are stain-resistant and easy to clean.
- They are long-lasting and durable. The porcelain materials used to create veneers do not easily wear down as natural tooth enamel does. With proper care, veneers can last for many years.
- They cover minor misalignments of your teeth. If your teeth are irregular in shape, or if you have spaces between them, veneers can correct these issues and give you a straighter-looking smile.
- They are more affordable than other cosmetic procedures.
- They can dramatically improve your smile by hiding discolorations, misshapen teeth, cracks, chips, and other imperfections.
- The process of getting veneers is quick and comfortable. Dr. Felahy will apply a thin layer of special cement to your teeth before placing the veneer over them. This creates a strong bond that keeps the veneer in place.
Get in touch with Sunset Oak Dental in Rocklin, California, to schedule a dental consultation with Dr. Felahy. Call (916) 435-5111, request an appointment online or visit our office at 2161 Sunset Blvd, Suite 300, Rocklin, CA, 95765.