A missing tooth can lead to a lot of aesthetic and functional concerns. Once a natural tooth is removed, biting and chewing food may become troublesome. It may lead to pain and discomfort, and also affect the ideal alignment of the teeth. Individuals with a missing front tooth may find it quite embarrassing to socialize and interact with people. Over time, this can lead to a severe lack of confidence.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are the most widely sought-after tooth restorations by dentists from all around the world. They are a combination of a prosthetic ceramic crown and metal screw-like stud. The stud is inserted in the jawbone exactly in place of the missing tooth, and the prosthetic tooth will be bonded to it using a connecting abutment and dental cement. Implants restore both oral aesthetics and functionality.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Implants restore a tooth in its entirety. Thereby, it fills the gap in the jawbone and prevents the remaining teeth from drifting.
- The implant stud has screw-like grooves on its surface, which firmly hold the jawbone and keep the prosthetic tooth stable. Further, these grooves hold the jawbone intact and prevent deterioration.
- Once an implant is placed in the mouth, oral functionality can be restored. You will be able to bite and chew food without any hassle.
- Implants can be customized to mimic the exact appearance of the adjoining natural teeth. This keeps them from being distinguished from the remaining teeth.
- Implants are highly durable and long-lasting. With optimum care, they can last for a long time.
What does the dental implant procedure involve?
Dr. Felahy will do everything possible to meet your dental needs. Placing an implant will require extensive planning and diagnosis of the oral cavity. We will take multiple scans and x-rays to determine the positioning of the teeth and determine the spacing available for placing the implant. The data is then sent to a dental laboratory for fabricating the ceramic crown.
Before commencing the procedure, local anesthesia will be administered to the gums to numb the teeth, soft tissues, and jawbone. Once it takes effect, a small hole will be made in the jawbone, and the implant will be inserted in it. Dental cement is used to fix it firmly in place. We will suggest a healing period of a few months to allow the jawbone to fuse with the metal implant.
Once the healing period is completed, the ceramic crown will be attached to it using an abutment and dental adhesives. Multiple bite tests will be conducted to ensure it fits well, after which the crown will be polished to enhance its luster.
At Sunset Oak Dental, Dr. Felahy offers the top-rated dental implants to the Rocklin, Roseville, and Lincoln areas in California. Call our office at (916) 435-5111 to schedule your dental appointment and enhance your smile!