Call Now


What is the Best Way to Floss?

Posted by DR. VOLKI FELAHY on Oct 30 2020, 09:59 AM

What is the Best Way to Floss?

Maintaining good oral hygiene is important and can be done through brushing and flossing your teeth every day. 

People who floss every day reap the benefits, as it removes the bacteria and plaque present in the mouth. This plaque build-up on your teeth can result in cavities, which could have been prevented through flossing.  

Although some people do floss every day, they may not be doing it correctly. On the other hand, improper flossing can cause damage to your teeth and gums.  

Let's see how to floss correctly so that you can maintain proper oral hygiene:

  • The first step is to make sure that you have dental floss of around 20-24 inches long, which is usually a good length to floss correctly. Now, hold 80 percent of the floss around your two middle fingers, creating room for the remaining 20 percent to floss the teeth.  
  • Hold the floss tight with your index finger and thumb.
  • Place the dental floss gently in between your teeth.
  • Floss it up and down slowly, making sure it does not touch the gums, causing scratches on them. 
  • Form a C shape at the base of the tooth by curving the floss.
  • Gently follow the same step for every tooth and make sure that you use new floss every time. 

Most people follow the routine of brushing their teeth first and then flossing. However, it is always recommended to floss your teeth first and then brush them. This will help release the food particles and plaque stuck in between the teeth, and brushing will help wash out these particles.

At Sunset Oak Dental, we share with our patients the best practices to maintain optimal dental care. We are happy to serve patients in Rocklin, Roseville, Lincoln, Penryn, and Loomis in California. You can schedule an online appointment with Dr. Felahy via our website or by calling us at (916) 435-5111. 

    Share On

    Leave A Reply

    Please fill all the fields.

    2161 Sunset Blvd, Suite 300
    Rocklin, CA, 95765

    Sunset Oak Dental

    2161 Sunset Blvd, Suite 300

    Tel: (916) 435-5111

    MON - THU : 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

    FRI - SUN : Closed