How to Get Rid of Tooth Stains
Posted by DR. VOLKI FELAHY on Sep 14 2021, 08:35 PM
The stains on your teeth make them look less brightened. The white color gradually fades from the teeth as it gets stained. Teeth stains normally emerge on the exterior or below the tooth enamel.
Teeth stains are the result of poor oral hygiene. The regular consumption of tobacco or smoking can also lead to the discoloration of teeth
How to Prevent Tooth Stains
- Brush your teeth daily, when you wake up and before going to bed. Use a mixture of baking soda and water to brush the teeth occasionally.
- Floss between the teeth every day.
- Always rinse the mouth thoroughly after having any food or beverages. It is better to brush your teeth after having meals that contain large amounts of sugar or tannins.
- Use whitening toothpaste or mouthwashes. Fluoride-based toothpaste is beneficial for children above the age of six.
- Use a straw to sip liquids other than water. This thereby helps prevent staining of the front teeth.
What Are the Foods to Avoid?
Several foods and beverages are culprits for tooth staining. These cause the teeth to darken and also dim the sparkle on the teeth. Some of them are:
- Tea and coffee: Drinking them frequently can make the teeth brown.
- Foods with synthetic coloring: they leave colored stains on teeth.
- Red wine or dark liquors: They create reddish stains on the teeth.
- Citrus fruits and dark fruit juices: Their acid content makes teeth prone to staining.
- Tomato-based sauces, soy sauce also cause the teeth to get stained.
What Are the Foods to Consume?
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli
- Foods such as ginger and carrot have abundant amounts of certain antioxidants that are good for teeth.
- Cereals, nuts, and high-fiber fruits can also prevent teeth discoloration.
It is always best to speak with your dentist to know the cause of your tooth discoloration. The permanent brown spots on the teeth can be cured along with the medical condition that caused them. Using dental whiteners or kits without the prescription of the dentist or doctor is not advisable because they might harm your teeth.
Having a healthy white smile is all that a person needs these days. For the best dental care, visit Sunset Oak Dental. Come over at 2161 Sunset Blvd #300, Rocklin, CA 95765, United States, or contact us at (+1) 916-435-5111.